Fennel Salt Beef Stew
Makes 4-6 servings
What you’ll need:
3 Tbls Fennel Seed
3 Tbls kosher salt or course seat salt
2-3lbs stew meat, cut into smaller cubes
3-4 Tbls coconut oil
1/2 bottle white wine
6-8 cups chicken stock
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 cup celery leaves and soft stalks, sliced thin
4-5 red potatoes, 1-inch cubes
1 large Granny Smith apple, 1-inch cubes
3 medium carrots, 1-inch cubes
- To roast the fennel seed, sprinkle onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast in a 375 oven for 10-12 min. Grind the roasted fennel with the salt in a spice grinder (or clean out your coffee grinder, by using rice….grind the rice, discard, wipe out the grinder, then proceed with grinding your fennel and salt).
- Lower oven heat to 325 degrees.
- To prepare your meat, cut into 1-inch cubes and toss in 2-3 Tbls of the fennel salt (save the rest for pork or steak night.) Toss black pepper in the meat as well.
- Heat your coconut oil in your dutch oven and brown the meat, remove and set aside before it is fully cooked through.
- To clean and chop your leeks, you will cut off the ends and stalks (the dark green) from the leek, slice down the middle so you have two halves. Wash the sand from the folds of the leek and then chop into half moons about 1/2-1 inch in size. Add to the pan with the oil and meat drippings. Cook at medium heat until translucent, add your beef back in.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and immediately add the white wine, chicken stock, smashed garlic cloves and the celery (use the soft stalks and leaves in the center of the celery bunch.)
- Place in your heated oven with lid on. Cook for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, add you cubed potatoes, apples, and carrots. Place back in oven with lid on, turning heat up to 350 degrees and cook for 1 hour. If your meat and potatoes are 2-inch cubes or bigger, cook for 1.5 hours.