Annie makes the best breakfast. She usually will mix things together that sound too healthy, yet it comes out wonderful and flavorful. This recipe is simple, easy and a must try. You can find fresh baby Walla Walla onions at your local farmer’s market.
- 8-10 small red potatoes, diced into small 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Uncooked bacon, chopped up into small pieces
- 2 baby Walla Walla sweet onions, diced, including green part
- 1/2 pound of stalks of asparagus, chopped 1/4 inches
- 3-4 stalks of chard, sliced
- Salt and pepper, and/or other desired seasoning
- 1-2 Tblsp of olive oil
- Cheese, Annie used Manchengo sheep cheese
- Eggs, poached or scrambled
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a cast iron skillet (12-inch,) put potatoes, bacon, asparagus, onions and seasoning into the pan. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and give it a quick stir.
- Place into hot oven and bake for 45 minutes. Bump up to 450 degrees the last 5-10 minutes.
- Slice up chard and set aside.
- Poach or scramble desired amount of egg.
- When potato is done, place a spoonful on top of the uncooked chard, add a slice of cheese (or shredded) and top with the eggs.
The bacon grease will help the onion and potatoes brown and caramelize. This dish is another reason why you are missing out if you don’t have a cast iron skillet. Let us know what you think! I’m planning on making this for my husband this weekend.